Mum Loses Limbs After Eating Undercooked Fish: A Warning about Bacterial Infections

Mum Loses Limbs After Eating Undercooked Fish: A Warning about Bacterial Infections

In a horrific incident, a California mother has lost all four of her limbs after consuming undercooked fish for dinner. Laura Barajas purchased Tilapia fish from a local market and cooked it herself. However, shortly after the meal, her fingers and feet turned black, indicating a severe infection. The 40-year-old was hospitalized and, after months of battling the deadly infection, underwent a life-saving amputation surgery last Thursday.

It was later revealed that Laura had contracted a bacterial infection from undercooking the fish. The specific bacteria is believed to be vibrio vulnificus, a known cause of infections, particularly among those who are immunocompromised. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned about the dangers of this infection, stating that there are approximately 150 to 200 reported cases worldwide each year, with a fatality rate of one in five.

Laura’s friend, Anna Messina, shared the harrowing experience and highlighted the severity of the situation. Laura was placed in a medically induced coma after developing sepsis, and her fingers, feet, and bottom lip turned black. Her kidneys also began to fail. The infection had spread rapidly throughout her body.

CSF Infectious Disease expert Dr. Natasha Spottiswoode emphasized the two main ways people can contract this bacteria: through consuming contaminated food and by exposing a cut or tattoo to water where the bacteria thrives. She advised individuals to take sensible precautions, such as avoiding immersion in water until cuts are fully healed and being cautious with high-risk activities and foods, especially for those who are immunocompromised.

To support Laura with her medical costs and ongoing care needs, Anna created a GoFundMe page that has already raised $54,500 out of a target of $150,000. The funds are desperately needed as Laura’s partner’s health benefits may not cover all expenses, and the family is facing significant financial challenges due to mounting hospital bills.

This incident serves as a stark reminder of the importance of properly cooking food and being aware of potential bacterial infections. It is a tragic reminder that such infections can have life-altering consequences.

– Mirror UK: [Article Title]
– Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

All Rights Reserved 2021.
| .