As we age, the risk of falls can become more significant and lead to serious injuries. To help individuals determine their risk of falling and provide tips to reduce the chances of injury, Community Healthcare System is organizing a special event called “Stop the Stumble.” This event will be held on Friday, September 22, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at five different Community Healthcare System locations.
During the event, 15-minute fall risk assessments will be conducted by physical and occupational therapists. These assessments will focus on examining an individual’s balance, gait, and strength. By identifying potential areas of concern, participants will be able to gain a better understanding of their personal fall risk and receive expert advice on how to decrease the chances of hurting themselves.
To take advantage of this opportunity, individuals can call 219-703-2055 to register for a free screening at one of the following Community Healthcare System locations:
– Community Hospital Fitness Pointe, 9950 Calumet Ave., Munster
– Community Hospital Outpatient Center, St. John, 9660 Wicker Ave., St. John
– Community Stroke & Rehabilitation Center, 10215 Broadway, Crown Point
– St. Catherine Hospital, 4321 Fir St., East Chicago
– St. Mary Medical Center Portage Health Center II, 3545 Arbors Blvd., Portage
This event aims to raise awareness about the importance of fall prevention and equip individuals with the knowledge to protect themselves from potential falls. By taking proactive steps and making certain lifestyle changes, individuals can significantly reduce their risk of falling and the subsequent injuries that may result.
For more information about the services offered by Community Healthcare System, please visit COMHS.org.
– Fall risk assessment: An evaluation conducted by healthcare professionals to determine an individual’s likelihood of falling based on factors such as balance, gait, and strength.
– Gait: The pattern of an individual’s walking, including factors such as stride length, posture, and rhythm.
– Community Healthcare System