California Woman Loses Limbs After Eating Undercooked Tilapia

California Woman Loses Limbs After Eating Undercooked Tilapia

A woman in California had to undergo amputation of all her limbs after contracting a bacterial infection from eating undercooked tilapia. Laura Barajas, a 40-year-old mother, purchased the seafood from a local San Jose market and prepared a meal for herself. The following day, she realized that something was wrong and went to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with Vibrio vulnificus, a dangerous bacterial infection.

In order to save her life, doctors had to amputate all four of her limbs, and she has been hospitalized in the ICU for the past month. A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help Barajas and her family during her recovery process. As medical bills continue to mount, significant changes will need to be made to their lives to adapt to her new circumstances.

Vibrio vulnificus is a bacteria that can cause abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, and blisters. While death is a rare outcome, those with weakened immune systems may be more susceptible. Symptoms typically appear within 12 to 72 hours of consuming raw or undercooked seafood, but it can take up to a week for symptoms to manifest.

It is advised to always cook shellfish before eating and to avoid eating them raw or undercooked. Hands should be washed with soap and water after handling raw shellfish, and cross-contamination should be avoided. If there is a wound, it is recommended to stay out of saltwater or brackish water or to cover the wound with a waterproof bandage. Cuts should also be thoroughly washed if exposed to seawater or raw seafood.

– National Post
– Food Safety News

All Rights Reserved 2021.
| .